Barnes & Noble Accounting Summer Intern in Westbury, New York
Accounting Summer Intern
The Barnes & Noble Summer Internship program is designed to provide students with the exciting opportunity to apply their education in a real-life professional setting, while gaining valuable industry experience and transferable skills. This will be a paid 10 week program, in which Interns will partner with Mentors on accomplishing impactful company projects. The program will begin on June 4th and end on August 10th.
We are seeking a Summer Intern to rotate within the General Accounting, Fixed Assets, Gift Cards, Occupancy, Sales Audit and Banks Departments.
The General Accounting Department is responsible for the monthly, quarterly and year end accounting closes.
The Fixed Assets Accounting Department is responsible for the monthly, quarterly and year end Fixed Assets accounting closes.
The Gift Card Processing Department is responsible for the daily and monthly processing of gift cards and the accounting for them.
The Occupancy Accounting Department is responsible for the rental obligations regarding store locations and Home Office.
The Sales Audit Department is responsible for ensuring that daily sales for all retail stores are received and accurately recorded. We also support store with issues with transactions, paid outs and capturing correct deposits.
The Banks Department is responsible for reconciling Credit Cards, Cash, Debit cards and checks on a daily/monthly basis, as well as researching and resolving chargebacks and bad checks.
• General Accounting: Assist with the monthly close functions such as journal entry preparation, monthly account analysis, & account reconciliations.
• Fixed Assets: Assist with invoice processing and coding as well as monthly close functions such as journal entry preparation, monthly account analysis, & account reconciliations.
• Gift Cards: Assist with checking daily reports from our processor, working exception items and any variety of clerical responsibilities.
• Occupancy Department: Assist with the daily functioning of the department including clerical tasks, monthly variance and balance sheet reconciliations, payment of invoices.
• Sales Audit: assist with the daily functioning of the department including recap checking, clerical tasks, balance sheet reconciliations and resolution of chargeback cases.
• Banks Department: support stores with any questions or issues, assist with bank reconciliations, and work with credit card companies to respond to and resolve chargeback cases.
• Students must have HS Diploma or GED and must be enrolled as at least rising Junior in an accredited Bachelor’s degree program, or enrolled in an accredited Master’s degree program in Accounting, Finance or related field
• Must be available to work a 40 hour workweek, Monday through Friday
• Strong analytical, organizational, and multi-tasking skills. One who is resourceful and a self-starter
• Works well under deadlines
• Skilled in Microsoft Office with some proficiency in Excel
What You Will Learn:
• To work as part of a team to achieve department goals
• Learn to use Sales Audit and Post Audit systems
• Learn to use T-recs matching system and to use to reconcile different tender types
• Execution of reports/reconciliations requiring use of the Oracle accounting system
• Work with credit card processor systems to gather information to fight chargebacks
• The ability to analyze and report on monthly financial information
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.