Barnes & Noble Senior Editor in Sterling, New York
The Senior Editor works with in-house managing editorial, production, and art/design departments to take projects from concept to finished book, and also with external publishing partners to acquire proprietary books.
• Acquires a widely varied list of original and licensed nonfiction and illustrated titles for the proprietary market.
• Manages relationships with outside vendors, including negotiating contracts and pricing, and purchasing co-editions.
• Works closely with Barnes & Noble buying team.
• Manages the editorial and production process from copyediting through finished book/product.
• Evaluates copyedited manuscripts, proofreads pages and jackets/covers.
• Checks corrections and communicates queries to managing editors and designers as needed.
• Reviews and routes all stages of page-proofs.
• Writes jacket and flap copy as needed.
• Develops and implements project schedules.
• Hires and supervises editorial freelancers, prepares agreements, and processes invoices and purchase orders.
• Coordinates timely delivery of copyedited manuscripts, proofread pages, and indexes.
• A 4-year college degree.
• A minimum of 5-7 years of experience in book publishing is required, preferably with experience in acquisitions and basic contract negotiation.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat; familiarity with electronic editing (change tracking).
• Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills.
• Deep and broad-based knowledge of book publishing and consumer trends.
• Background in book acquisitions.
• Detail oriented with a strong sense of editorial and design accuracy.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently and prioritize effectively.
• Proven ability to work quickly in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, highly collaborative environment.
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.