Barnes & Noble Children's Editor in Sterling, New York
The Editor will acquire and develop projects, oversee front and backlist titles, and forge strong relationships with senior editors, production editors, art directors, designers, authors, agents, and the buyers at B&N.
• Acquires and develops 15-20 projects per year including board books, picture books, novelty books, nonfiction books, workbooks, and middle grade fiction.
• Maintains essential relationships with authors, illustrators, agents, and foreign publishers.
• Drafts contract requests.
• Negotiates contract terms with agents.
• Attends meetings with sales people and buyers to develop product that meets their needs.
• Manages budgets for each project.
• Presents projects to sales and marketing teams at launch, pre-sales, and sales conference.
• Strong understanding of the non-fiction market.
• Experience with profit and loss statements.
• Ability to juggle multiple projects and demands simultaneously.
• Strong communication and people skills.
• Must be detailed oriented with exceptional time management and organizational skills.
• Excellent presentation and negotiation skills.
• Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
• 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in children’s publishing, with experience acquiring new titles.
• Ideal candidate will have existing relationships with agents.
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.