Barnes & Noble Senior Tax Associate in New York, New York
Senior Tax Associate
NY-New York (Flatiron)
The Senior Tax Associate is responsible for supporting the tax provision process and for ensuring the taxes are properly recorded in the Companys quarterly and annual financial statements in accordance with ASC740. You also are responsible for assistance with preparation and review of the US consolidated federal income tax returns and state level income tax returns ensuring adequate documentation is created to allow for the proper and efficient conclusion of audits by tax authorities. In addition, you are responsible for maintaining tax depreciation, intercompany accounting, and working with outside providers who provide provision and compliance services.
• Support preparation of the quarterly and annual income tax provisions in accordance with ASC 740 ensuring technical accuracy and proper financial disclosures.
• Interact with the Company’s external auditors on a regular basis as part of their audit of the financial statements.
• Assist in reviewing the US consolidated federal income tax return and state income/franchise tax returns.
• Coordinate the gathering of information for the federal and state returns to be used by third party tax return preparers.
• Coordinate documentation requests and assist with resolutions of federal and state income tax audits.
• Manage the tax fixed asset system ensuring correct technical rules are applied.
• Work with accounting to support intercompany accounting processes.
• Work with external service providers to complete certain book/tax adjustments (RIM, UNICAP, others) for reporting in the income tax provisions and in the income tax returns.
• Manage the Personal Property Taxes for the consolidated group with the assistance of a third-party preparer.
• Coordinate the responses for all federal, state and personal property notices on a timely basis.
• Build and maintain relationships with the appropriate stakeholders to ensure complete and timely flow of information requested from tax department.
• Strong tax provision and compliance experience.
• Comfortable with internet-based provision and tax return preparation applications.
• Excellent oral/written communication skills, organization and time management skills.
• Highly developed interpersonal skills with ability to effectively communicate with Senior Tax Department Personnel, members of the Finance Department and operational staff from a range of disciplines.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and Master’s degree in Accounting or Tax and CPA preferred.
• At least 4-5 years of tax experience, public accounting experience preferred.
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.