Barnes & Noble Manager, Merchandise Planning & Allocation in New York, New York
Manager, Merchandise Planning & Allocation
NY-New York (Flatiron)
In this role, you are a critical part of the merchant organization -- along with your team of planners and allocators, you drives sales, margin, and inventory turn in partnership with the merchants to maximize profitability. You achieve sales, margin and inventory goals through operational and process excellence, and by providing actionable analyses that are responsive to merchant concerns. You recruit the best talent, and develop, empower and motivate your team to high levels of performance. You think strategically, with an emphasis on continuous improvement across the entire supply chain.
• Partner with merchant team to define and achieve the sales goals for assigned areas on a weekly basis. Ensure that inventory and markdowns budgets are met with sensitivity to the needs of the business.
• Manage the timely allocation of product for assigned areas, ensuring that sales, fixture, and store needs are covered, while optimizing the inventory for sell-through and turn.
• Produce KPIs and insights of value weekly, to identify opportunities/risks in the business. Partner across the organization to implement responses.
• Lead monthly forecast meetings, and own a timely and accurate forecast and open-to-buy for your assigned business units.
• Prepare/present annual merchandise plans for sales, margin, markdowns, and inventory.
• Recruit, select and develop top talent through training, coaching and developing/challenging work.
• Additional job duties or responsibilities may be assigned.
• Advanced knowledge of the principles of merchandise planning and allocation, and retail operations.
• Expertise in retail math.
• Proven experience leading/coaching a team.
• Strong organization, time-management, and prioritization abilities. Able to work in a fast-paced environment while remaining focused and analytical.
• Independent decision-making skills.
• Experienced in Microsoft Office, especially intermediate Excel and PowerPoint skills. Knowledge of planning and allocation software.
• At least 7 years of buying, planning, or allocation experience in a specialty retail environment.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to act as an influencer.
• Ability to foster a positive working environment, encouraging feedback and innovation.
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.