Barnes & Noble Director, Merchandising in New York, New York
NY-New York (Flatiron)
We are currently seeking a strategic and consumer-focused Director of Gift, Stationery and Home Accessories. This exciting high-growth opportunity requires a visceral sense of style coupled with astute financial acumen to create a business informed by the customer and inspired by the market. You will offer a compelling combination of refined vision and discerning sensibility for trend inspired, relevant and innovative collections. Your ability to offer a unique point of view around enhancing the brand will have a strong impact in the marketplace. This is a key position that will elevate our content and improve our in-store and online shopping experiences.
As the Director of Gift, you are responsible to consistently deliver highly profitable results through strategic planning, category assortment, vendor negotiation and operational execution. You will evaluate vendors and products to increase sales and profitability and build appropriate vendor relationships that will ensure an influx of new products and ideas. In addition, you are responsible for the training and development of your staff in an effort to create bench strength via solid succession planning. This position requires the use of initiative, independent judgment, strategic thinking, analytical acumen, and strong collaboration and teamwork skills.
• Oversee the development of short, medium and long-term merchandising plans and sales objectives that meet annual operating plan goals.
• Elevate customer experience by evaluating best ways to curate merchandise in-store and on-line.
• Execute merchandise plans, open-to buy strategies and inventory turn targets in all categories.
• Continually identify and implement ways to drive top and bottom line results.
• Closely monitor and capitalize on market trends developing compelling product assortments.
• Oversee the buying team, train and develop staff.
• Collaborate with internal teams to manage business performance and execute strategies flawlessly across various channels.
• Focus on future businesses by identifying sales and market trends, new business category expansion with comports with the Brand.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or Liberal Arts.
• At least 5 years' experience working across multiple categories in merchandising management.
• Proven success buying and managing assortments for a retail chain.
• Demonstrated success building, managing and growing a team.
• Excellent analytical skills.
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.