Barnes & Noble Buyer in New York, New York
NY-New York (Flatiron)
We are currently looking for a passionate individual to drive strategy and increase profitability for our value-based book business at Barnes & Noble. This is an exciting high-growth opportunity and a key focus of the business.
As the Buyer, you are responsible for the merchandising, planning, and product categories in our retail stores, BN.com and two distribution centers.
• Identify, source and develop new products or business opportunities.
• Develop business strategies outlining strengths, weaknesses, new opportunities and risks.
• Partner with Director regarding the development of the assortment plan to drive sales.
• Build and maintain a strong relationship with vendors.
• Negotiate with vendors on availability, product specifications, distribution, delivery deadlines and prices toward maximizing the company's profits and margin goals.
• Manage vendor performance to maximize profitability and achieve financial objectives.
• Perform market analysis, competitive shop and analyze sales trends.
• Initiate and manage all product planograms.
• Manage store and distribution center inventory to meet turnover goals.
• Travel to store locations to review product mix, obtain feedback and share information, investigate and respond to field issues.
• In-depth knowledge of the off-price market and product development
• Strong analytical and PC skills
• Creative ability to operate independently
• Strong negotiating and communications skills
• Some travel required
• Bachelor's degree
• At least 5 years of previous buying experience
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.