Barnes & Noble Associate Buyer in New York, New York
NY-New York (Flatiron)
As the Associate Buyer, you are responsible for collaborating with Buyers to develop merchandise assortment and business strategies that drive sales and profitability for the Bargain team. This position participates in the forecasting and analysis of business results, identifies key industry trends, plans product assortment and negotiates with vendors as it pertains to a particular area of the business. You are required to assume complete responsibility for a portion of the Buyers overall business and manage the processes necessary to achieve or exceed sales and profitability objectives for that area. This position is responsible for providing support to Buyers in terms of the development and execution of plans and strategies for defined categories and/or departments. You accomplish this by having a strong understanding of customer needs and desires. You will develop an assortment plan that includes merchandising, pricing, and advertising that drives the profitability of the category. You will also stay abreast of all marketplace trends and pursue the development of products that satisfy growing and emerging consumer needs.
• Develop competitive customer and market strategies that involve targeted merchandise selection, proper assortment planning and accurate pricing plans for a specified area of the business.
• Execute sales, margin percent and inventory plans. Monitor and respond to issues and opportunities resulting from deviations in plan variances, and share concerns with Buyers.
• Provide information to support micro-merchandising strategies and review with team.
• Execute and aid in the development of departmental strategies to achieve sales and profitability targets. Assist in establishing replenishment strategies and identify items as replenishment candidates.
• Analyze sales trends, key items, vendor profitability, and aged inventory and make recommendations for driving improved performance.
• Establishes and maintains a professional rapport with vendors and monitors and manages vendor performance.
• Works in partnership with our Distribution Center on replenishment inventory.
• Builds rapport with our stores and provides them with clear direction in merchandising presentation, space allotment and product knowledge through ePlanner. Addresses store specific concerns and needs on a timely basis.
• Marketing Coordination with BN.com for duel channel opportunities.
• Work with publishing partners to create book content that is on trend, timely in nature and has mass appeal.
• A minimum of two years experience as an assistant buyer/or inventory planning and should possess a solid background in both merchandising and store operations.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Proven ability to identify and quantify sales opportunities and market trends as well as translate financial data to make effective recommendations and decisions.
• Strong negotiation & decision making skills.
• Strong communication and presentation skills, written and verbal.
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.