Barnes & Noble Network Architect in Monroe Township, New Jersey
The Network Architect will be required to identify and evaluate high level enterprise business requirements, analyze the as-is network and systems environment, and design a future network architecture that is reliable, scalable and supportable. This position requires leadership abilities to provide direction to technical network resources on multiple projects and initiatives. The ideal candidate will also be proficient with budgeting, planning, and project methodologies.
Overall day-to-day IT management to include but not restricted to:
• Working with executive-level staff and end-users as their primary deskside support, via online helpdesk system, telephone and remote support tools to diagnose technical issues related to PC operating systems, applications, network, servers, and peripherals
• Providing resolution and tracking of incidents with network, servers, PC operating systems, applications, and peripherals in accordance with IT Service Desk procedures
• Performing security administration functions for user access, data access, and remote access
• Supervise the Service Desk support staff by defining and establishing schedules, setting priorities, providing support/direction and dealing with administrative issues as needed.
• Gather and analyze metrics to benchmark the Service Desk workload/performance and identify trends in call center issues.
• Promote excellent customer service, effective response times and provide expert insights into general support issues. Enforce quality of service guidelines for dealing with customers, completing services, and overall customers’ satisfaction.
• Train Service Desk staff on operational procedures and troubleshooting techniques. Provide training on new hardware and/or software applications as requested.
The successful candidate will design and implement enterprise solutions focused in the areas of network (LAN, WAN, Wireless) and data center technologies. This role works closely with other engineers and architects to develop technical platform summary documents, strategic roadmaps and to implement new technologies as part of large-scale lifecycle programs and enterprise key initiatives.
• Lead the strategy for network architecture and network services to support data, voice, video, telephony, and other network dependent technologies
• Continuously identify simplification opportunities in the infrastructure’s technical business processes and driving these efforts to completion
• Design and recommend network solutions to integrate with current and planned infrastructure
• Work with senior leadership and IT partners to build and develop tactical plans that include strategy and fiscal requirements.
• Provide advice and consulting support to the project teams directly or through team members
• Maintain a close understanding of the business issues, operating procedures and priorities. Look for opportunities to improve our business agility.
• Drive continuous improvement in service delivery processes to accelerate provisioning of new systems
• Collaborate with other enterprise architects to ensure data center designs are aligned with business requirements
• Participate in architectural forums with technical resources across all departments.
• Build and maintain technical documentation including technical platform summary documents and strategic roadmaps
• At least 8 years of experience in network engineering strategy, architecture, design, and implementation as applied to complex computing systems
• Minimum 15 years industry experience
• Minimum 8-10 years of experience working with Cisco routing and switching technologies, Aruba wireless or equivalents, including data center network design
• Experience architecting complex, secure networks for infrastructure modernization efforts
• Experience in developing dynamic networks with infrastructure redundancy, and network link diversity to ensure high availability and disaster recovery
• Exceptional documentation skills that can clearly articulate technical designs, issues and constraints, procedures, and network assessments
• Deep comprehension of networking concepts including network design principles, data flow determination, routing, switching, VLANs, IP addressing, etc.
• Familiarity with network scanning/analysis procedures and toolsets for network readiness assessments
• Solid understanding of advanced networking technologies, virtualization technologies, and solutions including MPLS, virtual route forwarding, virtual device contexts, multicast routing, policy-based routing, ether-channel, QoS, traffic-shaping, load balancing, VPN tunnels, WAN Optimization, etc.
• Understanding data center networking equipment including Nexus 9K / 7K / 5K/ 2K series data center switches, catalyst series switches, Cisco routers, DR integration, etc.
• Experience with enterprise class network management/monitoring systems is desired (Solarwinds, Airwave, Spectrum, NetScout, etc.)
• Excellent presentation and communication skills regarding technical and non-technical concepts
• Solid understanding of layered network and security protocols including:
• Layer 2 – Ethernet, ARP, STP, VTP, VPC, MEC, LACP, PAGP, DOT1Q
- Layer 3 - OSPF, EIGRP, VRRP, HSRP, GLBP, ICMP, ESP (IPSEC), IP
- Layer 4 - TCP, UDP
- Layer 5 / 6 - SSL, TLS, SSH
- Layer 7 - FTP, HTTP, DNS, Telnet, BGP
• Strong analytical and problem determination/resolution skills
Bachelors of Science in Engineering, Computer Science, IT, Math, Physics or Engineering
• Advanced degree
• Network Certifications such as CCNP / CCIE or similar
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.