Barnes & Noble Children's Lead Bookseller in San Jose, California
Children's Lead Bookseller
CA - San Jose - Eastridge Mall - 2247
Barnes & Noble is an innovator in publishing, retail, and digital media, including our award-winning NOOK® products and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content. We welcome creative, dedicated, and service-oriented team members who are passionate about being an integral part of our dynamic community and helping it thrive.
Whether your expertise is in retail, merchandising, publishing, marketing, technology, or finance, we have a place for you at Barnes & Noble.
As a Lead Bookseller, you are assigned to the Children's specialty area. You sell our products and deliver world-class customer service through your commitment to our four core service principles. You have a passion for what you do and enrich the customer's experience by sharing your expert product knowledge with them and the store team. You serve as a mentor to other booksellers, and make the store experience interactive and engaging.
- Provide world-class customer service by delivering the four core service principles: put the book in the customer's hand, offer to order, offer the Member program, and fast cashiering.
- Greet and establish rapport with customers, engaging them in conversations about all our products and services.
- Ask questions to identify the customer's needs, providing recommendations using your expert knowledge of the specialty area, that connect the customer with the right solutions or products.
- Share technical knowledge and enthusiasm about all our digital products and services, providing a personalized experience to multiple customers at the same time.
- Respond to customer's concerns and questions, and wrap up the sale.
- Recognize trends and communicate in-stock positions to management by shortlisting local interest and top-performing titles and products.
- Ensure that products are put on the selling floor when received, identifying, organizing, shelving, and zoning in accordance with Integrated Store Operations (ISO), Visual Merchandising Standards (VMS), and shelving guidelines.
- Recover the selling floor during each shift, including but not necessarily limited to gathering and picking up items, straightening bookcases, maintaining tables in the Cafe, helping to maintain restroom cleanliness, and performing other store housekeeping tasks as required.
- Support all children’s events in the store, including but not limited to author events, story times, and corporate-sponsored programs.
- Assist in any area of the store when necessary; including but not limited to receiving, cashwrap, Cafe‚ and specialty areas.
- Protect company assets by adhering to all inventory and loss prevention standards; properly completing weekly cycle counts and inventories.
- Help orient and train new booksellers, ensuring a smooth acclimation to the store and our bookselling culture.
- Act with integrity and trust, promoting our bookselling culture and core values.
- You sell and share your product knowledge with customers and booksellers, contributing to the overall success of your store.
- You relate easily to others, building rapport and collaborative relationships with the store team and customers.
- You are able to speak with all customers and enjoy working with people. You are patient, tolerant, and effective at listening to and checking with others before acting. You are a cooperative team player who easily gains the trust and support of your peers.
- You continue to expand your specialized product knowledge.
- You are comfortable in a changing environment, with multitasking, with learning new systems and processes, and with assisting in all areas of the store.
- You comply at all times with the Standards, Policies, and Code of Business Conduct and Ethics set out in the Bookseller Handbook.
- As a lead bookseller, you spend a majority of your time on the selling floor, which requires physical activity, including maneuvering around the store, prolonged standing, repetitive bending, climbing, and lifting.
- Our stores are open daily, which requires early morning, evening, weekend, and holiday availability.
- You should be capable of using a computer and cash register.
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups