Barnes & Noble Internal Audit Summer Intern in New York, New York
Internal Audit Summer Intern
NY-New York (Flatiron)
Are you interested in a hands-on summer internship experience, where you can combine passion and potential? Read more…
The Barnes & Noble Summer Internship program is designed to provide students with the exciting opportunity to apply their education in a “real-life” professional setting, while gaining valuable industry experience and transferable skills. This will be a paid 10 week program, in which Interns will partner with Mentors on accomplishing impactful company projects. The program will begin on June 5 th and end on August 11 th .
Internal Audit is responsible for conducting internal financial, operational and/or system audits and risk assessments. The Internal Audit Summer Intern will help support the Internal Audit team as they test and document financial and computer system records for information system integrity and transaction accuracy.
- Perform support activities for internal financial, operational and/or system audits and risk assessments.
- Work alongside Senior Auditors as they carry out the audit plan. Specifically, the testing and evaluation of the company's internal controls assessing the design, effectiveness, and adequacy of key systems and processes based on walkthroughs and transaction compliance testing.
- Document results of testing through neat and organized work papers.
- Interact with various business units including department management and company employees.
- Students must have HS Diploma or GED and must be enrolled as at least rising Junior in an accredited Bachelor’s degree program, or enrolled in an accredited Master’s degree program.
- Must be available to work a 40 hour workweek, Monday through Friday.
- Working towards a degree in Accounting, Finance, Management Information Systems, or Computer Science.
- Ability to work independently, with appropriate direction and guidance.
- Strong data analytic skills, ability to think “outside-the-box”, and challenge existing processes and procedures when applicable.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, to effectively present to peers and management.
- Strong time management skills in performing multiple projects and working with varying team members.
- Proficient working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint.
- Ability to travel between Westbury, NYC and Monroe offices.
- Retail experience is a plus.
What You Will Learn:
- Understanding of the internal control framework
- Risk based approach to performing financial, operational, and IT audits
- Applying textbook methodologies to real world scenarios