Barnes & Noble Database Editor in New York, New York
Barnes & Noble is an innovator in publishing, retail, and digital media, including our award-winning NOOK® products and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content. We welcome creative, dedicated, and service-oriented team members who are passionate about being an integral part of our dynamic community and helping it thrive.
Whether your expertise is in retail, merchandising, publishing, marketing, technology, or finance, we have a place for you at Barnes & Noble.
Database Editor is responsible for subject categories on all books and book-related products in his or her assigned subject areas. The person in this position develops accurate, comprehensive, and interesting database categories on both products and contributors. Database Editor is also responsible for researching, editing, and maintaining bibliographic data for use in our stores and online.
- Ensure that titles within the Cataloger’s assigned subject are linked to appropriate subject categories in companies’ product databases in a timely and accurate manner.
- Maintain and enhance bibliographic data fields in the product database.
- Test the functionality of the search engine, merchandised pages, and product pages on the bn.com website.
- Evaluate products to determine appropriate audience and age range data.
- Test Barnes & Noble’s proprietary database tools, providing feedback and suggestions for fixes and improvements.
- Set and maintain standard contributor names, series names, and title data.
- A knowledge of books would be very helpful in this position. Relevant work experience in a bookstore, library, or publisher would be suitable.
- A bachelor’s degree would be helpful in this position, but relevant work experience could be substituted.
- The ability to complete large projects on tight schedules is necessary to be successful in this position.
- Flexibility, especially when it comes to shifting one’s efforts in order to work on high-priority, time-sensitive projects, is a must.
- The ability to identify creative solutions to problems is important in this position.
- Any person in this position must be able to work independently while retaining an understanding of when to seek guidance or assistance.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer of females, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.