Barnes & Noble Cafe Manager in New York, New York
NY - New York - Fifth Ave - 2234
Barnes & Noble is an innovator in publishing, retail, and digital media, including our award-winning NOOK® products and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content. We welcome creative, dedicated, and service-oriented team members who are passionate about being an integral part of our dynamic community and helping it thrive.
Whether your expertise is in retail, merchandising, publishing, marketing, technology, or finance, we have a place for you at Barnes & Noble
As a Cafe Manager, you are responsible for the daily operations of the Cafe, ensuring consistency with our bookselling culture, world-class customer service focus, digital initiatives, and merchandising standards. You lead by example and foster an employee-centric environment and focus Cafe servers on maximizing sales and productivity through the delivery of our four core service principles in the Cafe. You select, hire and develop Cafe servers, ensuring a talent bench which reflects the communities we serve.
- Manage and execute the daily operations of the Cafe; execute e-Planner to standard; customize, communicate, delegate, perform, and follow up on all tasks as the business demands.
- Drive sales by coaching and counseling Cafe servers to deliver the four core service principles in the Cafe: provide timely and friendly cafe‚ service, upsell, maintain product presentation standards, and maintain Cafe cleanliness.
- Deliver positive financial results through efficient execution of initiatives; use financial reports to identify additional sales, in-stock, and trend opportunities.
- Plan and assign work to optimize payroll budget.
- Understand and execute Integrated Store Operations (ISO) standards.
- Coach and communicate with the Cafe servers about all our products and services, enthusiastically model selling behavior, share technical knowledge, and provide recommendations about ways to connect our customers with the right products.
- Ensure that product quality and Cafe standards are executed and maintained; manage inventory levels, receiving, purchasing, waste control, and equipment maintenance and repair.
- Select, interview, and recommend the hiring of new Cafe servers; oversee and monitor the new hire orientation and training process, ensuring a smooth acclimation to the store and our bookselling culture in partnership with the store manager.
- Prepare and deliver performance reviews to Cafe servers; coach and counsel them on performance issues and take appropriate corrective action in partnership with the store manager.
- Resolve customer complaints in accordance with all operational guidelines, surfacing issues to the store managers as necessary.
- Protect company assets by controlling both internal and external shrink.
- Act with integrity and trust, promoting our bookselling culture and core values.
- Maintain a calm demeanor and manage issues professionally and according to store operating, and company standards, setting a positive example.
- Maintain facility's conditions and take immediate action to correct any maintenance issues.
- You can identify opportunities to drive sales through analysis and knowledge of the competition.
- You communicate clearly and establish focused direction to execute the workload.
- You are organized and manage your time efficiently, which results in consistent productivity and customer focus.
- You comfortably direct and coach others, providing feedback regularly.
- You select the right people, training them and accurately assessing their skills in partnership with your store manager.
- You coach others by providing feedback, fostering open dialogue and listening effectively.
- You relate easily to others, building rapport and collaborative relationships.
- You comply at all times with the Standards, Policies, and Code of Business Conduct and Ethics set out in the Bookseller Handbook.
- You should have at least two years of management experience, preferably in a food or retail environment.
- You are expected to work a majority of your time in managing the Cafe, which requires physical activity, including prolonged standing and lifting.
- Our stores are open daily, which requires early morning, evening, weekend, and holiday availability.
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.