Barnes & Noble Kitchen Manager in Edina, Minnesota
MN - Edina - Edina - 3301
Restaurant management positions available in multiple locations across the country!
Come join Barnes & Noble, a Fortune 500 company and the nation’s largest retail bookseller as we launch an exciting, new, full-service restaurant concept in multiple locations around the country. We have partnered with The Branstetter Group and AvroKO, leaders in the restaurant consulting business, to help design the space and menu. The new food and beverage offerings, along with our focus on hospitality, will further reinforce Barnes & Noble as a destination and a place where people come to spend time, dine and unwind.
The Kitchen Manager is responsible for the overall operations of the back of house (BOH) of a full service casual dining restaurant. They hire and develop staff to ensure the highest quality of food and hospitality to our customers. They ensure all staff members are trained on proper food preparation and kitchen safety. They manage the financials of the kitchen operations to build a successful and profitable dining experience.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Hire, develop, and manage the kitchen staff (approximately 25 hourly employees)
- Instill a culture of excellence and inspire confidence throughout the kitchen staff while displaying strong leadership and delegation skills
- Prepare and deliver performance reviews to build a consistent talent bench
- Collaborate with the General Manager on the budget for kitchen operations and develop plans to achieve P&L projections
- Manage food, kitchen, labor and linen costs
- Effectively manage labor in accordance with company policy and state labor, employment and wage & hour laws
- Execute and maintain quality and consistency of food with full adherence to corporate standards to acquire and protect restaurant sales
- Develop, implement, and enforce kitchen schedules, par lists, prep lists, order guides, and opening/closing procedures
- Conceive, develop, and execute seasonal menu changes and kitchen training programs
- Oversee kitchen repairs and maintenance, food inventories, food education at all pre-shift meetings and quarterly food shows for entire staff
- Build good rapport with vendors and manage multiple initiatives from various business owners
- Maintain in-house safety program and conduct monthly in-house health inspections
- Adhere to corporate kitchen cleanliness standards, ordering/receiving standards, and shelf life guidelines
- Protect company assets, controlling internal and external food and supply waste and theft
- Act with integrity and trust, promoting our culture and core values and delivering the highest level of customer service
Experience & Qualifications
- Three to five years of experience as a Kitchen Manager and prior experience leading and conducting restaurant openings
- Previous banquet experience for private parties of 2-100 people and ServSafe certification required
- Graduation from a culinary school and multilingualism are encouraged.
- Experience with computer applications and POS systems
- Thorough understanding of State labor, employment and wage & hour laws
- Requires no less than 55-60 hours of work per week, with holiday/night/weekend hours
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.