Barnes & Noble Barista/Cafe Server - Part-Time in Davenport, Iowa
Barista/Café Server – Part-Time
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS) is a Fortune 500 company, the nation’s largest retail bookseller, and a leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products with annual revenues of more than $4 billion. The Company operates 648 Barnes & Noble bookstores in 50 states, and one of the Web’s premier e-commerce sites, BN.com ( www.bn.com ). Our Nook Digital business offers a lineup of popular NOOK®tablets and eReaders and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content through the NOOK Store®( www.nook.com ).
It’s no secret why Barnes & Noble is among the best-loved and most-respected brands in the country. From becoming the first bookseller in America to discount books in the 1970s to establishing the superstore concept in the 1990s to the launch of NOOK and our current merchandise expansion into areas like educational toys and games and curated gifts, Barnes & Noble continues to revolutionize the retail industry.
Over the past few years, we have dynamically transformed our business from a store-based model to an omni-channel model centered on our retail stores, e-commerce and digital. Our omni-channel distribution platform provides customers easy and convenient access to print and digital books, magazines, newspapers, and entertainment content, along with a diverse product selection that rivals any specialty retailer. In addition, we have implemented a variety of innovative merchandising initiatives that continue to grow store traffic and sales.
With corporate offices in New York City, Westbury, NY, and Santa Clara, CA, we offer a wide range of opportunities in various disciplines, including merchandising, book buying, marketing, digital, engineering, information technology, finance and accounting. Our distribution centers in Monroe, NJ, and Reno, NV, offer challenging opportunities in distribution, logistics and more, while our state-of-the-art customer service center in Lyndhurst, NJ, features opportunities for customer service professionals. And our Sterling Publishing subsidiary in New York City provides exciting opportunities in the publishing field.
We're passionate about our people and profession and are investing in all areas of our business, so the opportunities to make an impact based on your interests, skills and talents have never been greater. If you have a focus on customer satisfaction, teamwork, and enjoy the free exchange of ideas, consider joining our team.
As a Cafe Server, you sell our products and deliver world-class customer service through your commitment to our four core service principles. You have a passion for what you do and enrich the customer's experience by sharing your knowledge to determine the customer's needs. You assist in the daily operations of the cafe, and make the store experience interactive and engaging.
- Provide world-class customer service by delivering the four core service principles of the cafe: provide timely and friendly cafe service, upsell, maintain product presentation standards, and maintain cafe cleanliness.
- Prepare and serve drinks and food in accordance with health code and cafe standards.
- Perform all support tasks in the cafe, including but not necessarily limited to baking, cleaning cases and equipment, and restocking displays, in accordance with cafe standards.
- Maintain cafe cleanliness at all times, including but not necessarily limited to cleaning tables, maintaining the condiment bar, and removing trash in accordance with cafe standards.
- Ensure execution and compliance with Integrated Store Operations (ISO) standards for the cafe.
- Perform opening and closing procedures in accordance with cafe standards.
- Protect company assets by ensuring the accurate execution of loss prevention procedures, including but not necessarily limited to the following; cashiering and inventory standards, monitoring waste logs and recording consumption, and adhering to discount and return policies.
- Help orient new cafe servers, ensuring a smooth acclimation to the store and our bookselling culture.
- Assist in any area of the store when necessary; including but not limited to receiving, cashwrap, Information Desk and specialty areas
- Act with integrity and trust, promoting our bookselling culture and core values.
- You sell and share your knowledge with customers and other cafe servers, contributing to the overall success of your store.
- You relate easily to others, building rapport and collaborative relationships with the store team and customers.
- You acknowledge, greet, and listen effectively to customers to ensure courteous and quick service.
- You take the initiative to expand your knowledge and understanding of the business.
- You are comfortable in a changing environment, with multitasking, with learning new systems and processes, and with assisting in all areas of the store.
- You comply at all times with the Standards, Policies, and Code of Business Conduct and Ethics set out in the Bookseller Handbook.
- You work in the cafe and on the selling floor as needed, which requires physical activity, including maneuvering around the store including back rooms, prolonged standing, repetitive bending, climbing, and lifting.
- Our stores are open daily, which requires early morning, evening, weekend, and holiday availability.
- You should be capable of using a computer and cash register.
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.